Saturday, August 30, 2008

Discipline & Regret

Jim Rohn said, "We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. Discipline weighs ounces--regret weighs tons."

Do have any regrets? I've got a few; I guess we all do. Rohn's quote resonates with me, because most of my regrets stem from lack of discipline. If only I had been more diligent. If only I had been more consistent. If only I had been more persistent. If only I had been more determined. And on and on.

Regret weighs tons, but it's foolish to bear this burden longer than necessary. Know how to get out from under it? It's in the first half of Rohn's corollary: Take another swing at the habit of discipline.

Ask yourself: What good thing...what necessary thing ... must I start doing today -- and every day -- if I feel like it or not? Whether it's a walk around the block or more time in the Word or cancelling a golf game to spend the afternoon with your kids, the short-lived pang of making a decision that doesn't come easily is nothing compared to the relief it brings from the dread of regret -- in fact, these tough decisions result in immeasurable joy.

There's a verse in Hebrews that refers to discipline. The writer is speaking here about the discipline (correction) that God sometimes works in us, but these words also apply to the discipline we have the power to exact on ourselves.

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. (Hebrews 12:15)

Here's to good training.

No comments: