Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11

Some time back someone asked me my thoughts on the events of September 11, 2001 and what part God had in it, if any. Here is how I responded.

My personal views . . . from a spiritual standpoint I think it is has been some time that we could honestly say that we are a Christian nation. Sure we have a church on "every corner" but most of those churches are empty -- and what percentage of the people who do attend church are really "fully-devoted" followers of Christ? As I look at our nation, I do not see a lot of evidence that we are following God (2 Timothy 3:1-5). Let's be honest, there are many sins that grip our nation and an argument could be made that we are on a slippery slop morally and spiritually.

Does September 11 have a link to these realities? Perhaps. The Bible teaches that we live in a fallen, evil world (Ephesians 2:1-2; 6:10-18; 2 Corinthians 4:4). That is reason enough for something like September 11 to happen. Is God unleashing his Judgment on our nation? That is a question no one but God himself can answer. I suppose time will tell. 

However it seems that this event has been used of God to stir the hearts of countless people and cause them to seek Him -- and that is a positive thing in my book! People are re-evaluating their lives as never before. Will this last? I pray to God that it will! I do believe that the heart and soul of this nation is up for grabs and that the church has an unprecedented opportunity to communicate and demonstrate the love and grace of God. 

Scott, I think you would enjoy Chuck Colson's website: www.breakpoint.org. Colson is a brilliant Christian thinker and a compelling apologist for the Christian faith. His background in the Nixon Whitehouse gives him a uniquely qualified perspective on political and world issues. His most recent book is an excellent treatment of the subject of the Christian's world view (Title: How Now Shall We Live?).

Also, a study of the Old Testament prophetic books would also give you a unique view of our nation. Specifically the books of Amos, Hosea, Micah, and Zephaniah would shed some light on how God deals with a wayward nation. As you read through Amos and Hosea you may find some similarities between the Northern Kingdom of Israel and our own nation. The prophetic books I listed are fairly brief. If you are looking  for more, try Isaiah and Jeremiah.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the impact of 9-11 seven years later. 

No comments: