Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Avoiding the Regret of Quick Decisions

Do you ever rush into decisions? Ever act on impulse? Do you ever look back and regret your actions in those times?

Well here's a verse that gives us great wisdom that, if we heed it, will keep us from regret later on. Here's the verse:

"Desire without knowledge is not good -- how much more will hasty feet miss the way!" ~ Proverbs 19:2 (NIV)

Don't know about you, but this is a verse I need more than I'd care to admit. Get the facts before making decisions. Consider the implications of those facts and how the proposed decision will impact things as you move forward. Be patient in making decisions, even those that seem "small" at the time. Generally we think through big decisions (buying a house, who to marry, etc.). Sometimes the "small" decisions are the ones that cause us the most regret later on.

Should I return his phone call? Should I go to that party with them? Should I ignore a small injustice at work or school? Should I join that sorority/fraternity? Should I cut class and go with them? Should I turn in that "expense"?

Desire without knowledge (or thinking it through) is not good. When I'm careless in my decision making because I just want to "go and do" will generally put me on a path that I'll regret.

No comments: